Why Easter Candy And Your Pets Don’t Mix

I love Reese’s Peanut Butter Candy Eggs. I don’t know why the filling inside seems creamier and smoother that the regular Reese’s cups. But they do. It probably adds to the charm that Reese’s Easter Eggs only appear one time a year. I haven’t had my 1 (well, maybe 3 or 4) longed for Easter eggs so far but the season isn’t over yet!!!

My dad always had to have jelly beans at Easter. The rest of the year our house never saw a jelly bean but come Easter they would be sure to appear – in Easter baskets and in candy dishes on the coffee table. 

Now while all this candy talk has me salivating there is something very important to consider in a home with pets……….

Easter candy and pets don’t mix. 

Check this out. The dangers of chocolate are clearly spelled out.

Chocolate – This isn’t just an old wives’ tale. Chocolate contains a very toxic substance called methylxanthines, which are stimulants that stop a dog’s metabolic process. Even just a little bit of chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can cause diarrhea and vomiting. A large amount can cause seizures, irregular heart function, and even death. And those jelly beans – choking risk for sure.

Beside Chocolate there are a lot of foods that are dangerous for your precious dog.  

So let’s take a look at things your pet pooch should NEVER eat.

Macadamia nuts – These are some of the most poisonous foods for dogs. Macadamia nuts, part of the Protaceae family, can cause vomiting, increased body temperature, inability to walk, lethargy, and vomiting. Even worse, they can affect the nervous system. Other nuts that are toxic to dogs are pecans, almonds, peanuts, and walnuts. They also can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe if not chewed completely. 

Xylitol – a chemical commonly included in gum and sugar-free peanut butter, is deadlier than chocolate to dogs. Xylitol can cause vomiting, lethargy, stupor, seizures, and coma. It can also cause liver failure by causing excessive insulin release and hypoglycemia. 

Avocado – contains persin, a toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.

Grapescan cause kidney failure and disease.Though no one knows the exact mechanism, there is a direct association, which also extends to raisins, which are even worse than grapes. 

I want to insert a heartbreaking true story here – a friend placed some grapes in a bowl in, she thought, a high place. But her dog jumped, ate the grapes and is fighting severe kidney failure as I write this post. Needless to say she is heartbroken and feeling guilty. 

Apricot and Peach stems, leaves, and pits – These can cause dilated pupils, bright red mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, shock, and death. They contain cyanide and are most potent when wilting and rotting.

Onions and GarlicThey’d have to eat a lot of onions, but for dogs or smaller dogs thay can be very dangerous over time because it causes anemia. Since garlic is significantly more concentrated than an onion, an even smaller ingested amount will likely lead to toxicosis – as little as one clove of garlic can lead to toxicity in dogs. They might also experience gastrointestinal irritation.

Cherry stems, leaves and stems – These parts of the cherry also contain cyanide and can cause dilated pupils, bright red mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, shock, and death. 

Mustard Seeds – These little seeds can cause vomiting and diarrhea in your pet.

Rhubarb – Rhubarb causes hypersalivation, tremors, and kidney failure.

Tomato Plants – Tomato plants can lead to solanine toxicity, with side effects such as hypersalivation, anorexia, severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, lethargy, central nervous system depression, confusion, behavioral change, weakness, dilated pupils, and slow heart rate.

Citrus Fruits – Even small doses of citrus fruits like oranges can cause upset stomachs in dogs. Larger doses can cause increased stomach pain and potentially depression of the central nervous system.

Coffee – Just like chocolate, coffee and caffeine both contain methylxanthines, which can cause the same symptoms as chocolate. Though your dog probably isn’t drinking coffee with you, be wary of where you keep beans in your pantry.

 Potato leaves, stems, and skin – Potato leaves and stems can cause vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, disorientation, lethargy, and central nervous system depression. The skin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and cardiac arrhythmias.

Yeast Dough – Dough with yeast in it can cause life-threatening gastric bloat through increased gas production. In small amounts, it can secondarily cause ethanol by-products to form and therefore cause alcohol-induced toxicity as well. 

Post this phone number on your frig for ready reference. 

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. But this would be a small fee for early intervention to save your pet!!

Now, I’m still going to enjoy my Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs and maybe a few jelly beans but I will be sure to put them in a high cupboard where Halia can’t possibly get to them.

 

20 thoughts on “Why Easter Candy And Your Pets Don’t Mix

  1. Thank you for posting this. I try to be so careful to teach my kids about food safety with the dogs, but you just never know. I’m going to show them your article.

  2. My humans gave their Samoyed a few grapes on occasion years ago when they didn’t know any better. They were lucky that doggie didn’t have any complications. These days my humans are better informed and won’t make that mistake again. Thanks for sharing! Mew Mew!

  3. Your list of “forbidden foods” is excellent everyone should keep it on hand. A few years ago, my Soldier got into a bag of Hershey kisses and ate them, wrappers and all. The evening ended with his stomach being pumped, then having activated charcoal down his throat to soak up as much of the poison as possible. It was a harrowing experience. Now I NEVER leave candy out – it only takes one opportunity for your dog to ingest something potentially fatal! (Soldier recovered and is fine now. In fact, he’s 18 years old!)

    1. What a horrible experience, Lori. I know we try our best to protect our fur babies but they are so quick!!! So glad Soldier came through it and is living the good life. Appreciate you stopping by. Happy Easter to you and Soldier!!

  4. Such a great post! So many of these items are in every household and so few people know the dangers. I love the ASPCA’s list … it’s very thorough. I’ve had a couple close calls with Bear Cat … but luckily he’s never gotten sick.

  5. This is such a great post. There are so many things we need to be aware of in order to keep our pets safe. We are careful to keep candy and other toxic foods under cover and out of reach.

  6. Oh wow – I learned quite a few things from reading your post! WOW I really didn’t know all of these and by the way – reese’s peanut butter cup eggs are my favorite too – way more filling and a thinner layer of chocolate than the cups. Thank you for linking up with #TuneInThursday this last week. I hope to see you again this Thursday at the linkup.

  7. Thanks for sharing this message, it’s actually applicable all year long – so many holidays and they all involve sweets & rich foods that can be toxic to pets!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

  8. Oh my, your poor friend. I hope her dog got better.

    Interesting fact, I know some people who always fed their dogs grapes. When I asked my vet about this, she told me that only certain dogs are affected by it, but since they cannot determine which dogs will have issues, they tell people not to feed it to any dogs.

    On Easter, Delilah ate 2 ounces of Chocolate Bunny and one whole, unpeeled potato. We got lucky on that one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *